01 Dec

April 11 – Historic Happy Hour: The End of Nicholas Trist

Diplomat Nicholas Trist had the rare distinction of being both a student of Thomas Jefferson’s and a member of his family by marriage to his granddaughter. In 1846, with his political stardom well-established, President Polk sent Trist to negotiate with General Santa Anna during the Mexican American War. Acting against his orders–Trist had already been recalled by Polk–and annexing less territory than many thought possible, Trist brokered the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, and in so doing ended both the Mexican-American War and effectively his own political career (though we note that his eventual Cuban retirement may strike the modern listener as enviable nonetheless).

Also on the scene are the US soldiers’ lack of understanding for the purpose of the conflict, rampant starvation and disease on the border, the All-Mexico movement’s desire to conquer all of Mexico, and a considerable first-ever US anti-war movement–motivated by, among other things, a desire to not incorporate a substantial non-Anglo populace into the US.

UT Doctoral Candidate Sheena Cox’s presentation on this and more will begin at 6:00 and run for approximately 20 minutes. Mezcal (courtesy of Susto Mezcal), pig roast (courtesy of Rosso & Flynn Modern Butchers), and live music round out what we hope will make for, if you will, a very happy (less than an) hour of history. A portion of the proceeds of this event will benefit local youth leadership and food sustainability nonprofit Urban Roots.

Doors open at 5:30. Pig roast served after Ms. Cox’s presentation.

Admission is $20 to the general public, $10 to students with valid ID, and $10 to members of the Friends of the Neill-Cochran House Museum. Space is limited; while tickets are generally available at the door, we encourage patrons to register online.

Free parking is available behind the museum. Paid overflow parking is available two blocks east at the Quarters garage, accessible from Rio Grande or 22nd street.

Register online for this event

Prefer not to register online? Call museum staff at 512.478.2335 or send us a note.

About the Speaker

Sheena Cox holds her BA and MA from Texas A&M University Corpus Christi and is currently working on her PhD at the University of Texas at Austin under Advisor Walter Buenger, specializing in the history of the borderlands of Texas and the Southwest. Her research looks at early nineteenth-century migration to Texas by Anglos, Native Americans, and African Americans, why they came, and how the region changed as a result. In addition to her academic work, she also serves as the program coordinator for the Texas State Historical Association.

About Urban Roots

Urban Roots is a youth development organization that uses food and farming to transform the lives of young people and inspire, engage, and nourish the community. They provide paid internships to Austin youth, age 14-23, to work on a 3.5-acre sustainable urban farm in East Austin. Each year, they grow more than 25,000 pounds of produce. They donate 40% of their harvest to local soup kitchens and food pantries and sell the other 60% at farmers’ markets and direct wholesale. To learn more visit www.urbanrootsatx.org, or call 512.750.8019.

 

Very special thanks to our sponsors Rosso & Flynn Modern Butcher and Susto Mezcal for putting the ‘happy’ in this edition of our historic happy hour.